My name is Ben Clark. I'm Wayfair's Chief Architect. The views presented are not the views of my employer. This blog is a combination of announcements, medium-to-long-form tech things, and personal/family items. The Dalton is my other half, Abbe Dalton Clark. Death before divorce is not just a catch phrase for a healthy marriage, it's a DNS configuration. And then there's the resume-ish stuff, because Linkedin really can't be the thing that takes that over once and for all, can it?
Techie links--public speaking, press, code, writing, etc.:
- An interview with Mary Pratt of TechTarget/SearchCIO, from January 2018: http://searchcio.techtarget.com/feature/Wayfairs-chief-architect-talks-AI-driven-innovation-impactful-IT
- A 20-minute talk at Facebook's Data@Scale Boston conference, November, 2014, called "Scaling Redis and Memcached at Wayfair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLjryfUZPXU
- The opening talk, "Scaling performance monitoring at Wayfair", on a double bill with Baron Schwartz, who's talk is called "Sampling is Hard": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWqc1BpgCac&list=PLjicVljLpMZXu4MxCK-0fnT2r7qBIIKOE. All this is at the Boston Web Performance meetup, June 10th, 2015
- Tech blogging at Wayfair's tech blog, where I've been writing since 2012, and editing since 2014.
- Twitter: @clarkjacker
- Github: https://github.com/clarkjacker
- An interview with Jeff Bertolucci of Information Week, on a data science project we did at Wayfair in 2012: http://www.informationweek.com/big-data/big-data-analytics/online-retailer-uses-dna-research-to-connect-with-customers/d/d-id/1106475?
- A chapter of Cesar Brea’s Marketing and Sales Analytics, Pearson, Financial Times Press, 2014, http://amzn.to/1MyTxV2, is an interview with me.
- Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/in/clarkjacker
- A Boston "Analytics Week" panel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXg3T-4RXs4 (from 35:50)
- I organize the Boston Web Performance Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Web-Performance-Boston/
- I spoke at a 'Stackdive' event on 4/23/2015, and published this blog post as a preview: http://www.stackdive.com/posts/the-evolution-of-wayfair-stack.
- I spoke at this meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Boston-Data-Engineering-Meetup/events/221216264/ on 3/31/2015.
- Older tech blogging, from when I was at a startup called StyleFeeder, at http://seventhfloor.whirlycott.com/category/cloud-computing/.
I can be reached at ben at daltonclark dot com.
This is also my family blog, where I talk up the various activities of my wife, Abbe Dalton Clark. She does software and IT project management and data processing with Microsoft tools, and she blogs occasionally here.
I have some other interests. I speak French and know some Persian and Arabic. A few years ago I translated 5 articles in Encyclopedia of the Archaeology of Ancient Egypt: http://amzn.to/1wc1Xcb. I also translated Louis Massignon's Essay on the Origins of the Technical Language of Islamic Mysticism from the French. It's out of print now, but a used copy becomes available on Amazon from time to time. I have a couple of author's copies, so you can write me if you're interested.